High School Writing, Summers 1981 and 1982
- 1 Ding! Ding! Ding!
- 2 At the Edge of the Universe
- 1 The Last Friday
- 2 Surviving in a Hostile Environment
- The first story I published in our high school's literary
magazine. The original title was "When the World Runs Out...."
- 3 Right Before the End of the World
- 4 The Exciting Adventures of the Hibernauts as They
Travel Through Time and Space
- A zero-word story.
- 5 Ten-second-rest-break
- One-page throwaway, written on the back of a menu during a rest
break while working at the KofC.
- 6 Waiting for Someone to Die
- 7 Dan's Birthdayland Adventure
- I started this then, but didn't finish it until 13 months later.
- 8 The Big IT
- IT stands for iced tea. A one-page throwaway.
- 9 The problems encountered in cross-breeding an
earthworm with a temperate hippopotamus who has a fetish for pickled
herring and Jordan almonds
- The title is by Mary Jane McConahay, my favorite customer at the
restaurant I worked at. The idea was to base a story on the title
(and I did the same for her). Unfortunately the title is far more
interesting than the story.